“We are proud of the long tradition Te Hopai has in caring for the Aged”

Lorraine Christie
Chair

1888

Created in 1888, Te Hopai Trust is one of New Zealand’s oldest Charities. The Trust was originally formed for the care of elderly people in reduced circumstances who needed assistance from the community to enable them to live in dignity and comfort in their declining years.

Te Hopai was the first home for the aged to be established in Wellington. Following a Grant of land by the Colonial Secretary, the first home was built from funds subscribed by a number of prominent Wellington citizens and opened in 1889.

1976

The original Home is replaced by a new facility.

1993

In 1993 Te Hopai Trust saw a further need for safe care for those residents with memory problems. To cater for this demand the 10-bed secure dementia Kowhai Unit was built.

1996

Expanding further, the 41-bed Te Hopai Hospital wing was built and officially opened in July 1996. This facility combined high level 24 hour medical care with the homely, safe and warm environment Te Hopai has become renowned for.

2001

In 2001 a major redevelopment of Te Hopai was started. This saw the opening of a new 2 storey wing in April that year, and was followed by the staged re-building of the old 1970’s Home, upgrading all 49 rooms, en-suites and public areas.

2008

In 2008 the Board reviewed the operation and strategic direction. As part of a 5 year Development Plan it was decided to replace the old Kowhai Dementia Unit with a larger, more modern leading edge facility offering better public spaces and 16 en-suite rooms. As part of this redevelopment a new administration block and extra Hospital beds were created, with much needed deferred maintenance built in. The result is a light airy welcoming Dementia facility with a new main entrance.

2010

The main dining room and lounge is refurbished to a light elegant space with new furniture and fittings.

2015

In March 2015 the Board opened the Owen St wing. The development of the old car park site off Owen St allowed the creation of a new state of the art kitchen for the whole site, and the building of 46 extra en-suite rooms. Linked by lift and stairs to the Hospital St site, these premium rooms are larger, sunny, and have views over Newtown or the Wellington green belt. All rooms have tasteful built in furniture, wall mounted 23” TV’s and are wireless capable.

2017/18

For 2017/18 the Board is implementing on-line patient management systems that will allow electronic monitoring of all care, transfer of medical records from other providers, and potentially tablet based access by families to daily care and activities for their loved ones.

The Te Hopai Trust Board is always looking at how to improve and development of the Home & Hospital whilst maintaining the relaxed homely environment so loved by our residents. “Setting the Standard in Aged Care” is our constant goal.